There isn’t really an average Alpha. Alpha is run in local communities all around the world, and everyone’s welcome. It runs in cafés, churches, bars, prisons, parks, universities, schools, homes—you name it. No two Alphas look the same, but generally they have three key things in common: food, a talk and good conversation.
Whether it’s a group of friends gathered around a kitchen table, or a quick catch-up over coffee and cake, food has a way of bringing people together. It’s no different at Alpha. Sessions start with food, because it’s a great way to build community and get to know each other.
The talks are designed to engage guests and inspire conversation. Usually around twenty-five minutes long, they can be given as a talk in person or played as a video. They explore the big issues around faith and unpack the basics of Christianity, addressing questions such as Who is Jesus? and How can I have faith?
Probably the most important part of any Alpha: the chance to share thoughts and ideas on the topic, and simply discuss it in a small group. There’s no obligation for guests to say anything and there’s nothing they shouldn't be able to say (seriously). It’s an opportunity to hear from others and contribute their own perspective in an honest, friendly and open environment.
What is the structure?
Alpha follows a structure set over 11 sessions and a weekend/day away.
- Session 1: Is There More to Life Than This?
- Session 2: Who is Jesus?
- Session 3: Why Did Jesus Die?
- Session 4: How Can We Have Faith?
- Session 5: Why and How Do I Pray?
- Session 6: Why and How Should I Read the Bible?
- Session 7: How Does God Guide Us?
- Weekend Session 1: Who is the Holy Spirit?
- Weekend Session 2: What Does the Holy Spirit Do?
- Weekend Session 3: How Can I Be Filled with the Holy Spirit?
- Weekend Session 4: How Can I Make the Most of the Rest of My Life?
- Session 8: How Can I Resist Evil?
- Session 9: Why and How Should I Tell Others?
- Session 10: Does God Heal Today?
- Session 11: What About the Church?
We've compiled an Alpha Basics guide that coaches you through the process of preparing your Alpha and provides you with all you need to know when it comes to training, food, prayer and launching an Alpha. Click the button below to download the guide.