What are the key elements?
To run a successful Alpha, each session should contain:
- Food – Keep it simple, it doesn’t have to be anything complicated; it's about creating space and time for the guests to settle in
- Talk – Each week there is a talk on one of the topics listed below. There are various ways to give a talk, and the length of the talk depends on your audience
- Discussion – After the talk, guests break into small groups to discuss the content, with hosts facilitating the conversation
It's also important to remember that Alpha guests are invited to freely explore the basics of the Christian faith and this means that there must be no pressure, no follow up, and no charge.
What is the structure?
Alpha follows a structure set over 11 sessions.
- Is There More to Life Than This?
- Who is Jesus?
- Why Did Jesus Die?
- How Can We Have Faith?
- Why and How Do I Pray?
- Why and How Should I Read the Bible?
- How Does God Guide Us?
- How Can I Resist Evil?
- Why and How Should I Tell Others?
- Does God Heal Today?
- What About the Church?
- Who is the Holy Spirit?
- What Does the Holy Spirit Do?
- How Can I Be Filled with the Holy Spirit?
- How Can I Make the Most of the Rest of My Life?
We've compiled a fantastic Alpha Basics guide that coaches you through the process of preparing your Alpha and provides you with all you need to know when it comes to training, food, prayer and launching an Alpha. Click the button below to download the guide.